automobile engineering schools
Automotive Engineering at Cambridge
Cambridge is a top university in the world, so studying automotive engineering there will provide you with an excellent foundation for your career. If you’re passionate about cars and want to be at the forefront of designing and developing new technology, this course could be for you.
At Cambridge, automotive engineering is considered to be one of the most competitive fields to get into. The University has a strong reputation for research and teaching, so it’s a great place to study if you want to work in the automotive industry.
The course takes four years to complete (compared with three at other universities). This gives students more time to build their knowledge and skills before they leave university; it also provides more opportunities for students who are interested in research to get involved.
A few more schools in the UK:
automobile engineering schools
More schools in the UK:
- A few universities offer some type of automotive/automobile engineering degree. These include Loughborough, Bradford, Birmingham and Nottingham. Some of these are combined degrees where you study mechanical engineering but specialize in automotive or motorsport topics at a later stage of the course.
- Cranfield University offers a masters course leading to an MSc in Automotive Engineering. This is more suited to those already working in the industry who want to learn new skills, update their knowledge and get a higher qualification.
Imperial College, London
Imperial College is one of the top colleges in the UK, as well as one of the best in the world. It is located in London, a bustling city. This makes it ideal for students who want to socialize and have fun during their learning experience.
The college is large, so it provides many opportunities for students to get involved with various programs and activities on campus.
University of Bath
The University of Bath is located in Bath, England. It is a public university that was founded in 1856. It has around 18,000 students and is ranked as the 14th best university in the United Kingdom and the 180th best university in the world.
Bath offers a MEng degree program and a Phd degree program specializing in Automotive Engineering. Both programs focus on creating innovative automotive engineers through combining theoretical study with practical experience. The MEng program features classes such as: Foundations of Vehicle Design, Advanced Autonomous Systems, Modern Manufacturing Methods & Industrial Applications, and Accident Reconstruction & Forensic Investigation.
- Located in the UK, Cranfield University is one of the top universities in the world and a leading educational institution specializing in science, technology, engineering and management.
- Cranfield’s partnership with the automotive industry means students have access to several high-quality facilities such as a state-of-the-art design studio and wind tunnel testing facility, among others.
- With a multitude of research activities that span from innovative projects for Formula 1 cars to helping develop some of the most advanced cars for regular consumers, many students are regularly interacting with global leaders in this field.
- Because it is one of England’s oldest mechanical engineering schools (founded in 1946), Cranfield has an incredibly rich history that attracts many students from all over the world to its campus every year looking for inspiration and guidance from those who have led major technological developments that shaped how we see auto engineering today.
- Not only does Cranfield consistently rank highly amongst British Universities but it is also considered one of the most diverse universities in England with thousands of international students enrolling every year at its four campuses located across Britain
A few schools in Europe other than the UK:
While it is true that the United Kingdom hosts some of the best automobile engineering schools in the world, there are a few other places in Europe where you can also study car design and manufacturing. Here are a few of them:
- Delft University of Technology, Netherlands – They offer a Specialization Program in Automotive Engineering taught fully in English. Taught by professionals and researchers working at the university and other automotive companies, this program has been specially designed to address real-world issues that car manufacturers face. The program covers all aspects of automobile engineering, such as vehicle dynamics, brakes and traction control systems, fuel cells and energy management systems, applied ergonomics and systems human factors engineering.
- Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden – This university offers an advanced master’s program in Automotive Engineering. The course work for this postgraduate degree covers topics like vehicle technology & modelling; mechanical design; powertrain engines & drives; electric vehicles & hybrids; crash safety & occupant protection; design quality & innovation management. The program also covers several specializations depending on your interests—vehicle safety engineering; vehicle electronics; drive train engineering; automotive design & innovation management or combustion engines.
Delft University of Technology, Netherlands
If you want to get your degree in automobile engineering and you’re interested in studying abroad, the Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands may be a good fit for you.
Delft is a small school, with around 6,500 students enrolled in its bachelors programs. Because of this, classes are smaller and have more student-faculty interaction on average than those at larger universities. This intimacy means that students often get individualized attention from professors, which can help them with coursework or research projects.
In addition to providing personalized guidance for students, Delft also has many opportunities for hands-on learning experiences. As an automotive engineering student here, you’ll be able to work closely with faculty on real-world research and development projects related to vehicle design and innovation. You’ll also have more flexible coursework options than you would at other schools: the university offers multiple bachelor’s degrees that incorporate a specialization in automotive engineering. And because it’s such a large program area there are lots of opportunities for internships and special projects within the field!
Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
Chalmers University of Technology is a university that conducts world-class, boundary-crossing research in technology, science, shipping and architecture with a sustainable future as its global vision. Chalmers offers education and conducts research within engineering sciences and architecture with a holistic perspective where the products and society are in focus. The education offered is based on industrial demand and is highly regarded by employers in Sweden and globally.
The main areas of research are:
- Information Technology
- Environment & Sustainability
- Innovation systems & Services
The Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Sweden
The Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) ranks third among the best universities in Sweden and is a strong contender worldwide. The university has a long association with automobile engineering, which was one of its first programs of study. Today, it continues to offer a very strong automotive engineering program that focuses on research. KTH has a reputation for being an excellent institution for engineering education generally and its automotive engineering program is no exception.
The National Technical University of Athens, Greece (in English)
NTUA is divided into nine academic schools, eight being for the engineering disciplines, including architecture, and one for applied sciences. Undergraduate studies have a duration of five years (10 semesters), postgraduate studies last two years (4 semesters) and doctoral studies last three years (6 semesters). Undergraduate studies include compulsory “core” courses to provide a solid base for all students regardless of specialization. Students are then able to specialize in specific areas or fields according to their interests. Students can also choose elective courses from other Schools of the University if they want to broaden their education even further. NTUA graduates are capable of understanding the requirements of society and respond effectively by creating new technologies that help improve our quality of life through research and innovation. Graduates acquire business/entrepreneurial skills that enable them to engage with industry either as employees or as employers.
Some good schools in the US and Canada besides MIT and Waterloo are:
- Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) in Atlanta, Georgia
- University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, Michigan)
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of California, Davis
- University of Waterloo (Ontario, Canada)
- University of Toronto (Ontario, Canada)
Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) in Atlanta, Georgia
The Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) is a big, public school that offers excellent automotive engineering programs. Located in Atlanta, Georgia, this university has a large student population that gives it the feel of a gigantic city school. With its large class sizes and affordable tuition rate for in-state students, Georgia Tech is an excellent choice for those looking for an engineering degree without the price tag of private institutions.
Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey. It has a lot of research activity and a long history as a place to earn a mechanical engineering degree. It is also one of the most diverse universities in the country.
- It has a large population of graduate students, a faculty with a great deal of research activity, and many opportunities for undergraduate research.
- The university is very close to New York City, several major automotive companies have operations in the area, and there are many other opportunities for employment.
- The university itself has a very good reputation as an academic institution.