Colleges That Offer 8 Year Medical Programs
If you’re looking for an 8-year medical program, here are some options you should consider:
Boston University offers a 7-year MD program that allows you to complete your undergraduate degree and medical degree in one cohesive program. Boston University is one of the most highly ranked medical schools in the country, and it’s located in Boston, Massachusetts. Since it’s a private institution, tuition will be higher than at state schools—but you also get access to additional resources and services that aren’t always available at public institutions.
If you’re interested in attending this school but want to know more about their 8-year MD program before making an application decision, here are some things you should keep in mind:
- It’s important to note that Boston University is not part of any official 8-year MD program; rather, they offer an accelerated pathway that allows students with undergraduate degrees from other colleges or universities (including those who have earned bachelor’s degrees here at BU) into their medical school after just four years instead of five.
- The incoming class size for this three-semester track ranges between 40–60 students each year; however since each candidate must go through the same rigorous process as all other applicants do during admission season (outside sources such as MCAT scores), there may still be fewer seats available than demand requires because applicants can choose from multiple options which ones seem best suited toward achieving personal goals within each applicant pool as well as how much time/money/effort is desired/needed…
St. George’s University
St. George’s University (SGU) is located in Grenada and was founded in 1978. It is a private university that offers graduate programs and undergraduate programs at its campuses in both Barbados and Dominica, as well as online courses. SGU has been accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education since 1986, which is one of the longest running accrediting agencies for colleges in the United States.
The eight-year medical program offered by SGU includes two years of general pre-medical studies followed by four years of study at either its campus location or via distance learning technologies such as video conferencing technology (VCT), live lectures via webinar sessions with remote locations, digital libraries accessible through VCT, telemedicine services provided through VCT or telephones; followed by a clinical year that takes place at an affiliated hospital or clinic where students rotate through various clinical settings including surgery center units such as operating room suites, intensive care units (ICUs), emergency departments etc.
Georgia Gwinnett College
Georgia Gwinnett College is a public, liberal arts, four-year institution located in Lawrenceville, Georgia. It was founded in 1968 as the first public college in the state to be established after desegregation. The college became part of the University System of Georgia in 1991 and offers Bachelor’s Degrees through its five colleges: Arts and Humanities; Business; Education; Health and Science; Social Sciences and Behavioral Sciences.
The school’s primary focus is on undergraduate education but it also has graduate courses available for those who have earned a bachelor’s degree from another institution or who want to earn their master’s degree while still working full time.
Excelsior College is a private, nonprofit institution based in Albany, New York. The college has been offering online degrees since 1971 and is accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS).
Excelsior College offers an eight-year medical program that leads to a master of business administration (MBA) degree. You can choose to either complete the MBA program or become licensed as a doctor by completing the first two years of medical school before enrolling in Excelsior’s second four-year graduate degree program.
Western Governors University
- Western Governors University (WGU) is a private, nonprofit, online university that was founded in 1997. The university received regional accreditation by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities in 2013; it previously held candidacy status. It offers 247 degree programs to students at all levels of education including bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degrees.
- WGU is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
Here are some colleges that offer an 8-year program leading to an MD degree
You can see the list of colleges that offer a 6- or 8-year program leading to an MD degree in the table below. The programs are listed by state, then name of school, followed by program and cost details.
- State: Alabama
- University of South Alabama – Mobile
- 2nd year (2 years) – $450/credit hour + tuition; 3rd through 7th years (3 years each) – $3,300/semester + tuition
- Requirements: SAT score above 1000 or ACT score above 25; GPA above 3.5
- Pros: You’ll save a lot on tuition costs by taking fewer classes over longer periods of time than you would if you were pursuing an MD degree at a traditional 4-year university. Additionally, it’s worth noting that this is one of only two schools within 100 miles of Mobile where students can get their education without having to commute across town every day! This makes it ideal for those who don’t want to live on campus full time but also don’t care for living too far away from home during their first few years out in the real world after graduation day arrives next springtime around baseball season starts again.”
Medical school is a long and rigorous journey, but it can be made shorter by attending one of these colleges. If you have any questions about the programs or schools listed above, please contact us at anytime!