The Master of Arts in Counseling (M.A.) is designed for people who want to work with individuals and families, or groups, helping them solve personal problems. This degree program can prepare you for a career as a therapist, counselor or school counselor.
Some schools offer an online M.A. in Counseling that allows students to complete their degree while working full-time jobs or attending classes on nights and weekends at convenient locations near home or work. Students can also choose between a thesis or non-thesis option within this type of program depending on their specific interests and career goals upon graduation.”
Colleges That Offer Bachelor’s Degree In Counseling
Adelphi University is a private institution located in Garden City, New York. Adelphi University is a liberal arts college that offers a Bachelor’s Degree in Counseling.
Adelphi University has an acceptance rate of 66%, making it one of the more selective colleges out there—which means you better have some stellar grades to get in! Once you’re in though, it seems like their return on investment might be worth it: according to PayScale’s College ROI Report for 2016-2017, graduates from Adelphi University earn on average about $46K per year and graduate with an average of $31K in student loans.
American International College
American International College is a private, coeducational, liberal arts college located in Springfield, Massachusetts. AIC is a member of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities.
AIC’s main campus is situated on 40 acres (16 ha) within the city limits of Springfield with an additional 81-acre (33 ha) Reservation in Longmeadow for facilities such as athletic fields and residence halls. The college also offers classes at its Graduate Center at Lincoln Square in downtown Springfield as well as satellite locations throughout Western Massachusetts with several academic concentrations including: Criminal Justice; Psychology & Counseling; Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL); Sports Management/Sport Marketing Management among others.
Assumption College is a private Catholic liberal arts college located in Worcester, Massachusetts. The school offers a Bachelor of Arts degree in Counseling Psychology for $1,500 per year—that’s less than $50 per credit hour! Additionally, the cost of living in Worcester is low compared to other major cities like Boston and New York City. If you are looking for an affordable college with a high-quality education and counseling program, consider Assumption College.
The cost of tuition and fees does not include room and board or books/supplies; however, there are several scholarship opportunities available for students who qualify for assistance with their educational expenses.
Brigham Young University – Idaho
Brigham Young University – Idaho is a private, non-profit university located in Rexburg, Idaho. Brigham Young University – Idaho is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
Carlow University (commonly referred to as Carlow or CU) is a private, co-educational university located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Founded in 1851 by the Sisters of Mercy, it is one of 28 member institutions of the Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities and one of six such members in the state of Pennsylvania.
The school’s motto is Veritas et Caritas: “Truth and Charity.”
Carlow offers undergraduate degrees in more than 70 majors across its three academic schools: Business Administration; Education; Liberal Arts & Sciences; Nursing; Social Work; and Theology. Additionally, Carlow offers graduate programs at both the master’s level (MSEd) and doctoral level (PhD).
Central Connecticut State University
Central Connecticut State University is a public university located in New Britain, Connecticut. The school has an enrollment of about 12,000 students and an acceptance rate of about 80%. The tuition for the academic year 2019-2020 was $9,000 per year.
The university offers a Bachelor’s degree in Counseling through its Department of Counselor Education & Human Services. This program prepares graduates to work with individuals, couples and families in various settings including hospitals, schools and community agencies.
Christopher Newport University
- Christopher Newport University
- Located in Newport News, Virginia, CNU is a public institution that was founded in 1954. The university’s programs are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
- The Counseling Program at CNU offers two different bachelor’s degrees: Bachelor of Science in Psychology with a concentration in Counseling or Bachelor of Arts in Psychology with a concentration in Counseling or School Counseling or Educational Leadership & Administration (ELS). Students must complete 120 credit hours to graduate from this program where they can choose to specialize their studies through concentrations such as addictions counseling; community counseling; criminal justice; marriage & family therapy; mental health counseling; neuropsychology; school counseling & educational leadership/administration specialization areas include: school administration (principal); special education teacher; general elementary education teacher – special education teachers teach children who have physical or mental disabilities so that they may be integrated into classrooms with other students
Clarion University of Pennsylvania
Clarion University of Pennsylvania is a private comprehensive university with a main campus in Clarion, Pennsylvania. The university offers bachelor’s degrees in the following majors:
- Social Work
Colorado Christian University
Colorado Christian University (CCU) is a private, co-educational university located in Lakewood, Colorado. It was founded in 1954 as a liberal arts college. The university offers undergraduate degrees in over 60 majors and graduate programs including Master of Education, Master of Business Administration and Ph.D. degrees in Counseling Psychology and Educational Leadership.
The online Bachelor of Science degree program at CCU is designed for those who want to become professional counselors or therapists after completing their education requirements at CCU’s campus locations across the country or online; this program can be completed entirely online if the student prefers that option. Students must complete four counseling courses while they earn their degree: Introduction to Counseling; Human Growth & Development; Assessment & Treatment Planning; Professional Practice with Individuals & Groups
Concordia University Wisconsin – Mequon Campus
Located in Mequon, Wisconsin, Concordia University Wisconsin is an American private liberal arts college that offers a Bachelor of Arts in Counseling. Students can also earn the following degrees:
- Bachelor of Science in Counseling
- Master of Arts in Counseling
- Doctor of Philosophy in Counseling
East Carolina University – Greenville, NC
East Carolina University offers a Bachelor of Arts in Counseling. This is a public university located in Greenville, North Carolina. The school has a large student body and a good reputation, and it’s considered a very good value by many students who have attended the university.
Eastern Oregon University – La Grande, OR
Eastern Oregon University – La Grande, OR
Eastern Oregon University (EOU) is a public university located in La Grande, Oregon. It was established as Eastern Oregon Normal School in 1910, and it was originally an agricultural school. In 1923, the school became Eastern Oregon State Normal School (ESNS). It received university status in 1977, when it changed its name to Eastern Oregon State College. The following year, the college introduced graduate programs and majors in engineering technology; business administration; early childhood education; elementary education; secondary education; English Composition/Literature; General Psychology; Sociology/Anthropology with an emphasis on Human Development courses. Today there are over 200 undergraduate degrees available at EOU including: Accounting – 2-year associate’s program
Counseling – bachelor’s degree program
Criminal Justice – 2-year associate’s program
Edgewood College – Madison, WI
Edgewood College is a private, coeducational university affiliated with the Presbyterian Church (USA). The college offers a Bachelor of Arts in Counseling Psychology. In addition to coursework, students must complete an internship and thesis project.
Fort Hays State University – Hays, KS
Fort Hays State University is a public university located in Hays, Kansas. The university was founded in 1902 as Kansas State Normal School and operated as such until 1925, when it was renamed Fort Hays State College. Finally, in 1957 it was renamed Fort Hays State University; the same year that K-State became Kansas State University.
Fort Hays offers both a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in Counseling and a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, with an emphasis on Marriage & Family Therapy. Students are also able to dual major with Criminal Justice or Sociology with an emphasis on Criminal Justice; they must then choose one of these majors for their Bachelor’s thesis project.
Golden Gate University – San Francisco, CA
- Low acceptance rate: the school had an acceptance rate of 11.6% in 2018.
- High retention rate: the school has a retention rate of 89%.
- Low graduation rate: the school’s graduation rate is 28%.
- Student to faculty ratio: this college has a low student-to-faculty ratio of 12:1, which is great considering that most colleges have a high student-to-faculty ratio (around 30 or higher). This means you’ll have more one-on-one time with your professors and advisors who will be able to help you better navigate your program.
- Transfer out rates: Students who transfer out from this university are likely unhappy with their choice of institution or program—it could also mean they’ve found something better somewhere else! Transfers can occur for many reasons including dissatisfaction with class size, location and curriculum options available at their current school so if you’re thinking about transferring out soon then consider taking some time off before making any decisions about where else might be better suited for your needs as both programs might require different types of coursework which may not necessarily suit everyone’s learning style.”
Most of these schools on this list don’t require a lot of money to complete.
- Many of the schools on this list offer financial aid, scholarships, and loan programs that can help you pay for school.
- Because most of these universities are publics, they are inexpensive compared to other colleges.
- The cost of a bachelor’s degree in psychology or counseling will vary depending on how many credits you get each semester and whether or not you’re taking an internship during your senior year.
We hope that this list was helpful for you, and if you have any questions or comments about these schools, please let us know in the comments section below!