Colleges That Offer Game Development Major
These are some of the colleges that offer game development major.
Champlain College is a private liberal arts college located in Burlington, Vermont. It was founded as the Burlington Business School in 1878 by Amos Dean, who served as president until his death in 1895.
The college became affiliated with the state’s system of higher education in 1948, and gained its current name when it merged with Missisquoi University in 1971. Today, Champlain is one of two colleges within the Vermont State Colleges system that offers an accredited major or minor in game development (the other being Castleton State College).
There are currently more than 20 graduate-level degrees offered by Champlain College’s School of Management & Technology including finance-related fields such as Master of Science in Finance and Master of Science Analytics (MSa).
Ferris State University
Ferris State University is a public university located in Big Rapids, Michigan, United States.
The university has an enrollment of 16,000 students with a student-to-faculty ratio of 19:1.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) is a private research university in Troy, New York, with a second campus in Hartford, Connecticut. RPI was founded in 1824 by Amos Eaton, who was a professor at the University of Vermont.
The game design program at Rensselaer has been ranked as one of the best game design programs by Princeton Review and USA Today.
Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI)
Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) is a private university in Worcester, Massachusetts. The institution was founded in 1865 and has over 6,100 students enrolled. WPI offers undergraduate and graduate degrees for those interested in game development.
The Game Development Major at WPI gives you exposure to all aspects of the gaming industry with courses like Algorithms for Game Design and Development, Creative Computing: Digital Art & Animation II: Advanced Techniques, Human-Centered Computing: Gaming & Entertainment Systems Design I (and II), Introduction to Game Programming I: Fundamentals or Interaction Design for Games I (and II).
Becker College offers a Bachelor of Science in Game Design and Development. In this program, students learn how to design games and develop game development projects. The program is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
Students study topics such as game design theory; game art and animation; programming languages like C#, C++, Java or Python; 3D modeling software like Maya or Blender; game engines such as Unity3D or Unreal Engine 4; sound design and music composition for games; user experience research techniques for creating better gameplay experiences; entrepreneurship skills necessary for starting your own business (or working at one).
Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT)
- Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) is a private university located in Rochester, NY.
- RIT offers courses on game development and related topics.
- Students can earn a bachelor of science degree in game design and development or minor certificates in game design and development or produce digital media. There are also two-year associate degrees offered through RIT’s National Technical Institute for the Deaf (NTID).
- Students can join one of many clubs on campus to discuss games, including the Association for Computing Machinery Club, which focuses on computer science; the International Game Developers Association club; or the Cine Club, which hosts screenings of student films every semester. They can also become involved with research efforts at RIT’s Center for Media, Arts and Games (MAG), where researchers develop new methods for creating engaging experiences across platforms.
The program is open to any student who has completed one year at a university. If you are interested in game development, then you should consider applying for this program.
Drexel University offers multiple undergraduate degrees related to game development like:
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (Game Development)
- Bachelor of Arts in Game Design and Development
Abertay University, Scotland
Abertay University is a public university in Dundee, Scotland. It is the only university in the UK to offer a game development degree. The Bachelor of Arts in Game Design and Production teaches students about game design, programming and business skills necessary for developing video games. Students will also learn about computer graphics and animation techniques that are used by animators or designers working on film sets.
A BSc (Hons) Games Technology graduate can look forward to a career as a developer or programmer on an interactive media project such as an online game or mobile application.
University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC)
UCSC offers a B.S. in Computer Science with a focus on game development. The school also has a game development club and program, as well as minors and certificates, workshops, and more!
University of Southern California (USC) Games Program
The University of Southern California (USC) offers four degrees related to game development: a Bachelor of Science in Games and Interactive Media, a Bachelor of Arts in Games and Interactive Media, a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Games and Interactive Media.
The USC games program is one of the top-ranked game design undergraduate programs by Game Developer Magazine’s annual survey; it has also been recognized for its faculty, who have worked on major gaming titles like Titanfall 2, Uncharted 4 and God of War III: Remastered. USC students can participate in student organizations such as Women in Games International or Game Developers Student Network.
These are some of the colleges that offer game development major.
While there are many colleges that offer game development majors, here are some of the most prominent schools:
- [University of Southern California](https://www.usc.edu/). The University of Southern California offers a Bachelor’s degree in Interactive Media and Game Development (IMGD) with concentrations in animation, art and design, programming, or sound design. This program focuses on developing technical skills as well as an understanding of teamwork, project management and business practices.
- [Drexel University](http://www.drexel.edu/). Drexel University offers multiple programs related to game development including a minor in game design and development; certificates in 3D modeling, motion design or computer science; and certificates in entrepreneurship related to gaming industries such as mobile apps or game design strategy & management.*
We hope this list will help you in your search for the perfect college and game development major. We know that it can be difficult to choose a school, and we are here to help. If you have any questions or comments about the article, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org