Colleges That Offer Instate Tuition For Out Of State Students

Out of state tuition can be a huge burden for many students. It’s even more difficult if you’re trying to save up for graduate school, where most programs require a master’s degree in order to qualify for licensure. Fortunately, there are some states that offer instate tuition rates for out-of-state students. This guide will help you learn about the different programs available and how they work so you can determine if they’re right for your situation.

Colleges That Offer Instate Tuition For Out Of State Students

1 Alabama


Alabama State University

Auburn University

University of Alabama

University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB)

University of South Alabama (USA) is an accredited regionally accredited, public, coeducational university located in Mobile, Alabama. USA offers associate’s, bachelor’s and master’s degrees through its five colleges: Arts & Sciences; Business Administration; Education; Health Professions; and Nursing Practice.

2 Alaska

Alaska is a state in the United States of America. Alaska has a population of 741,894 and a land area of 665,384.2 square miles.

3 Arizona

  • Arizona State University
  • Northern Arizona University
  • University of Arizona
  • Grand Canyon University
  • University of Phoenix (online)
  • Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

4 Arkansas

There are a few colleges that offer instate tuition for out of state students. Arkansas is one of them and there are a few reasons why it’s on our list.

  • The University of Arkansas in Fayetteville has an enrollment of around 20,000 students and is one the largest universities in the state with over 300 degree programs available. They have been recognized as one of the top 100 colleges nationwide by U.S News & World Report for many years now, which makes attending this college a fantastic investment in your future education!
  • They also offer an accelerated program called “Fast Track” which allows you to complete your first two years at another community college before transferring into UA-Fayetteville where you then complete your last two years toward your bachelor’s degree at their campus in Fayetteville (the “fast track” part). This particular program gives incoming freshmen lots of flexibility when choosing schools since they can attend any community college or university within Arkansas without worrying about paying out-of-state tuition rates during those first two semesters while still having access to all resources offered by each school’s main campus location system wide!

5 California

  • California
  • California State University
  • California State University of Fullerton
  • California State University of Long Beach
  • California State University of San Bernardino
  • California State University of San Diego
  • California State University of San Francisco (including the School of Nursing)

In addition to these colleges, some private colleges and universities also offer instate tuition for out-of-state students.

6 Colorado

If you moved to Colorado within the last 12 months and want to enroll in a state university, it’s possible that you’ll be eligible for instate tuition. That’s right—you could pay in-state tuition at the University of Colorado Boulder or any other college in Colorado even if you’re not a resident!

Here are some important things to know about this policy:

  • The 12 months do not need to be consecutive (i.e., they can be spread out over multiple years). In fact, they don’t even need to happen all at once. So if you moved from Illinois on July 1st and then back again on December 31st, those six months would count towards your total time spent living in Colorado.
  • The 12 months don’t need to happen at one time—they can also be spread out across different school years (for example, January through June one year plus September through December another year). Or maybe one semester one year plus three semesters another year. Whatever configuration works best for your schedule!

7 Connecticut

Connecticut is a state in the New England region of the United States. It has a population of 3.58 million people, making it the third smallest state by area and fourth most densely populated state. The capital of Connecticut is Hartford, which is also its most populous city with approximately 124,000 residents (2010 census).

8 Delaware

  • Delaware is one of the few states that offers instate tuition for out-of-state students.
  • Delaware has a few schools that offer instate tuition for out-of-state students.
  • Delaware offers instate tuition for out of state students in the following schools:

9 Florida

Florida’s public universities offer in-state tuition to students who have lived in the state for at least a year. If you’re an out-of-state student who wants to live and study in Florida, here are some of the options available:

  • University of Florida – Gainesville
  • University of North Florida – Jacksonville
  • Florida State University (FSU) – Tallahassee
  • University of South Florida (USF) – Tampa

10 Georgia

  • Georgia State University
  • University of Georgia
  • Georgia Institute of Technology
  • Georgia Southern University
  • University of West Georgia
  • Kennesaw State University
  • Georgia College & State University
  • University of North Georgia

11 Hawaii

Hawaii offers instate tuition to students from the following states: Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia (except for Gainesville), Idaho (except for Boise), Illinois (except for Chicago), Indiana (except for Gary and Fort Wayne), Iowa (except for Davenport and Ames), Kansas, Kentucky and Louisiana.

12 Idaho


Idaho State University

University of Idaho

Boise State University

13 Illinois

Illinois is home to a number of public universities and colleges that offer in-state tuition to out-of-state students. The state’s universities and colleges that offer in-state tuition to out-of-state students include:

  • Eastern Illinois University
  • Governors State University
  • Illinois State University

14 Indiana

  • Indiana University
  • Indiana State University
  • Purdue University
  • University of Notre Dame
  • University of Evansville
  • Valparaiso University <br/>

There are several other universities in the state that you can apply to if you don’t want to go to one of these top schools. These include:

15 Iowa

Iowa offers instate tuition for out-of-state students at the University of Iowa, Iowa State University and the University of Northern Iowa.

For example: If you are a student from California and want to attend the University of Iowa, your annual tuition will be $28,515. This means that if you live in California, you would pay $28,515 per year as long as you maintain continuous enrollment as an undergraduate student with no break in attendance. If however your status changed from being an undergraduate student to a graduate student without an interruption in enrollment then your tuition would go up by approximately 8% each semester (for more information on how exactly this works check out our article on residency requirements).

16 Kansas

  • Kansas University (KU) is a public university located in Lawrence, Kansas.
  • Students who meet certain requirements can receive instate tuition rates at KU.
  • If you are an out of state student who attended a Kansas high school for at least 3 years and graduated from that high school with at least 1250 hours of enrollment (including more than 6 semesters), you may be eligible for instate tuition rates at KU.
  • You will also have to apply to KU by the priority deadline date of February 1st each year to qualify for instate tuition rates based on your qualifications as an out of state student attending a Kansas high school graduate.

17 Kentucky

There are nine public universities in Kentucky that offer instate tuition to out-of-state students. These include:

  • Kentucky State University (undergraduate or graduate)
  • University of Kentucky (undergraduate only)
  • University of Louisville (undergraduate or graduate)
  • Eastern Kentucky University (undergraduate only)
  • Northern Kentucky University (undergraduate only)
  • Western Kentucky University (undergraduate or graduate)

18 Louisiana

Most Louisiana colleges and universities offer in-state tuition for students who are residents of one of the following states: Texas, Mississippi, Georgia and Florida. If you are a resident of one of these states and choose to attend a Louisiana college or university then you should be able to receive discounted tuition.

For example at University of Louisiana at Lafayette, the out-of-state tuition rate for an undergraduate student is $25,831 per year while in-state students pay only $1140 per semester (or $2280 if they live on campus). In other words if you live in Texas but decide to go to school in Louisiana then they will give you 76% off your tuition!

19 Maine

Maine is one of the states that offers in-state tuition to out-of-state students.

Here are a few more details:

  • Students must be enrolled full time (12 credits) and maintain a GPA of 2.5+ throughout their undergraduate career
  • Students must have graduated from an accredited high school within ME, have attended secondary school in ME, or have been granted home-schooled education by an authorized person who has submitted documentation of their decision to home school you on behalf of your parents/guardians.

20 Maryland

  • The University System of Maryland
  • Washington Adventist University
  • Johns Hopkins University

21 Massachusetts

Tuition for out-of-state students is the same as that of in-state students. This means that you will be charged the same tuition and fees, but you will also have to pay nonresident supplemental tuition if your GPA falls below a 2.0 at any point during your first two years of enrollment. To qualify as an in-state student, you must meet certain requirements:

• Your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) must have lived in Massachusetts for at least 1 year prior to high school graduation

• If neither parent lives in Massachusetts, then one parent may claim residency by living here for 5 consecutive years prior to high school graduation

• You must have attended a secondary school (high school) in Massachusetts for 3 consecutive years prior to first day of college enrollment

22 Learn about the states that offer instate tuition for out of state students.

Out of state students are usually required to pay higher tuition than in-state students. In some states, however, out of state students are eligible for a special scholarship or waiver that allows them to receive the same tuition rate as residents. This is called in-state residence or being an “instate” student. There are many different types of instate tuition scholarships and waivers available at colleges throughout America.

  • The most common way for an out-of-state student to qualify for in-state tuition is by completing 12 or more consecutive months within their chosen state before starting college there.*
  • Other ways include graduating high school within the relevant state, serving on active duty with the military after September 11th 2001 but before July 1st 2009 (as long as you were not stationed overseas), attending an accredited public university full time while living with your parents who own property in Florida (and paying $50 per term), being married to someone who meets certain criteria and being accepted into a graduate program at certain schools.*


In conclusion, there are a number of states that offer instate tuition for out of state students. It’s important to research this topic thoroughly before making any decisions about college. You should consider factors like cost, location and program availability before deciding on your perfect school.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *