fees for ms in usa
- What is your budget?
Make sure to have an honest look at your finances before you start looking for a place to live. There’s no point in getting excited about a nice apartment that’s way out of your budget!
- How much money will you have in total?
How much money do you have saved up that can be used to cover expenses while you study? Consider the following when working out this number:
- How much money do you have in savings and will these savings, plus any interest earned, be enough to support yourself through university?
- Will you be receiving an allowance from family or friends?
- Are there any other sources of income that could help pay towards fees, rent and living costs (e.g. part-time work)?
In the US, public universities are funded by government monies and thus offer lower tuition fees. The non-resident fee will however still be higher than the resident fee. On average, students can expect to pay between $10,000 to $15,000 per year in tuition fees at a public university for an MS program. In-state residents of the state where the university is located pay much lower fees (around $5,000 per year) than out-of-state residents and international students who pay close to $15,000 per year in tuition fees.
Students can also expect to pay a few hundred dollars in miscellaneous fees such as for student services, health insurance or recreational facilities.
When you plan to study in the USA, one of the first things you’ll probably check is the cost of doing this. As an international student, expect that a private university will have a higher tuition fee than a public university.
However, there are schools which offer scholarships or financial aid for those who need it. In most cases, you can get scholarships based on your academic merit and performance in your previous degree. A few examples of private universities are NYU (New York University), USC (University of Southern California) and Carnegie Mellon University. The tuition fees range from US$30,000 to US$60,000 per annum depending on whether it’s an undergraduate or graduate degree program. This does not include living expenses which can work out to be about US$15,000 per annum. Living expenses include housing and other basic necessities such as food and transportation.
Top universities in USA
Top Universities in USA for MS
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Cambridge
- Stanford University, Stanford
- University of California—Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
- Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh
- California Institute of Technology (CIT), Pasadena
- Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech), Atlanta
- Purdue University—West Lafayette, West Lafayette, IN
- Cornell University, Ithaca NY USACornell University tops the list as one of the best universities for masters in mechanical engineering in the world since it offers a wide range of specialization options and research-based study programmes in this field to students from all over the globe who aspire to become mechanical engineers one day.
There are several scholarships, fellowships, and assistantships available to international students based on their academic merits. Some of the most common scholarship programs include:
- Fellowships for Indian Students
- Indian state government sponsored scholarships
- Scholarships by discipline/major
- Financial need-based scholarships
- Academic merit-based scholarships
- Research grants
After MS, what?
Once you complete the MS degree, there is an option to stay in the US and work for a period of one year on a work permit called OPT (Optional Practical Training). This work permit can be taken by both STEM and non-STEM students.
If you want to pursue higher studies and apply for a PhD program, then it is advisable to first get some experience in your field of study, preferably at least one year. Otherwise, it will be very difficult to get admission into any good PhD program. If you want to come back and work in India, then you can apply for an Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) card or Person of Indian Origin (PIO) card. If you want to work in Europe or Canada then no problem, just apply for a Work Permit as per the country’s norms.
All you need to know about fees and expenses of studying in USA.
In this guide, we will cover:
- Cost of studying in the USA
- Tuition fees and other expenses
- Funding alternatives for you to consider