Indiana’s Professional Licensing Agency (PLA) is responsible for administering the state’s nursing licensing program. The word “professional” in this name means that only nurses who have completed a minimum of two years of formal education in their field can apply for a license, and these must meet certain educational requirements as well as pass an exam. Indiana licenses are good for two years and must be renewed during the month following the birth date of each nurse. Nurses should also keep track of changes in their personal information such as address or phone number so that they can complete any paperwork necessary to renew their license on time without delay or hassle!
indiana nursing license renewal
1 Nursing license renewal information for Indiana RNs and LPNs.
Indiana RNs and LPNs are required to renew their license every two years. Renewal is required by the month following the birth date of the nurse. For example, if your birthdate is August 28th, you will need to renew your license between March 1st and April 30th in 2020.
2 How to Renew Your RN or LPN License via the Internet
If you are an RN or LPN and you want to renew your license online, visit the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency. Once there, follow the instructions provided to complete your renewal. You will be asked to pay a fee by credit card and print out a receipt. Mail this receipt with a copy of your current RN or LPN license and proof of identity (such as a copy of your social security card) within 14 days after paying for the renewal. Your renewed license will be mailed back to you with one business day.
Note that if you do not renew within 30 days after expiration, an additional fee will apply for late renewal fees (see below).
3 To renew your Indiana nursing license by the internet, visit the page listed above and follow these instructions:
To renew your Indiana nursing license by the internet, visit the page listed above and follow these instructions:
- Log in with your username and password.
- Select “Renew License” from the menu options.
- Enter your license number and zip code, if prompted (this information can be found on your renewal card).
- Click “Continue” to proceed with payment. At this point, you may pay either by credit card or check/money order; it is recommended that you use a credit card for faster processing time and decreased wait times for receiving your renewed licenses and cards in the mail after completion of this process.
4 How to Renew Your RN License in Indiana via Mail
To renew your RN license in Indiana via mail:
- Mail your renewal request to the address listed above. Include a copy of your current driver’s license or a recent utility bill.
If you are currently out of state, you may use an expired Indiana nursing license as long as it is not more than 3 years old (you must complete the entire process to renew it).
To receive additional information on how to renew your Indiana nursing license by mail, call the number above and ask for help with completing this process.
5 Send a written request to the address below along with a check or money order for $40 made out to the “Professional Licensing Agency”.
Send a written request to the address below along with a check or money order for $40 made out to the “Professional Licensing Agency”. Include a copy of your current driver’s license or utility bill.
6 If you are mailing your written request to renew your license, please include a copy of either your current driver’s license or a recent utility bill with your request.
If you are mailing your written request to renew your license, please include a copy of either your current driver’s license or a recent utility bill with your request.
This is needed to verify your identity. You may also use any of the following documents:
- A copy of your birth certificate dated within one year prior to the renewal date; or
- A copy of a valid passport; or
- A copy of the last three consecutive Social Security cards issued in his/her name
7 The mailing address is as follows:
To renew your nursing license, you must submit the following items to:
- Renewal application (Form 20-129).
- Proof of successful completion of CE requirements (if applicable) or evidence that they have been waived. You can find more information regarding this requirement in the section on professional liability insurance above.
8 Professional Licensing Agency
You may renew your license online, by mail or in person. Renewals must be completed every two years.
To begin the renewal process, contact Professional Licensing Agency at:
Address: 901 South Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46225-2107 Phone: 317-234-2050 Fax: 317-232-2489 Email address: [email protected] Website: www.in.gov/pla
9 402 W. Washington St., Room W072
Indiana Professional Licensing Agency
402 W. Washington St., Room W072
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2730
In your written request, indicate that you would like to process a nursing license renewal and include the following:
- Your full name (including middle initial) as it appears on your current license. If you do not know your middle initial, write “unknown” in this field.
- Your date of birth (MM/DD/YYYY).
- Social Security Number or Tax Identification Number (TIN). If you do not have a TIN or if you are not eligible for one due to immigration status or other reasons, contact us prior to completing your renewal application at 317-234-2385 x3 or via email at email@example.com . We will help facilitate getting a TIN assigned if needed prior to submitting an application for licensure renewal
10 Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Hours of Operation
11 Indiana nursing licenses should be renewed every two years during the month following the birth date of the nurse.
Indiana nursing licenses should be renewed every two years during the month following the birth date of the nurse.
Renewal can be done online or via mail, in person or by telephone.
Nursing licenses are renewed every two years during the month following the birth date of the nurse. If you have any additional questions, please contact us at (800) 622-6840.