masters in project management in canada
Project Management is an emerging field of study. Multiple universities in canada offer a masters degree in project management. Masters in project management is a 2 year course with the option of specialization.
A masters degree in project management is a postgraduate course which is pursued by students who have completed their graduation in the field of management. It is a 2 year course with the option of specialization. A lot of companies are willing to hire students who have graduated with this field of study because project management is an important aspect for all businesses. Project managers manage the implementation, planning, execution and monitoring of all aspects that go into completing a task or project. Students also learn how to manage people and workflow along with managing risk and finance associated with running a project.
- In the UK, a postgraduate Master of Science degree takes one year and the program’s curriculum is comprised of taught modules. The coursework includes core competencies such as leadership, project management and strategic management. Module assessments include written exams and essays, presentations, case studies and group work.
- In Canada, a postgraduate Master of Project Management degree also takes one year to complete but at many schools modules are offered online and on-campus. Students develop skills in research methods, risk analysis and project finance, among other competencies. Courses in this program are often designed with the help of employers who use relevant real-world examples to make learning more practical for students.
Many masters in project management programs offer specializations. Specializations allow students to focus their degree on a particular field or area of interest. For example:
- Project management in construction and real estate
- Business analytics
- Project management and leadership
Focusing your degree on one specific area of study can provide you with valuable skills and knowledge that you can use to set yourself apart from other job applicants, or it can help position you for a promotion within your current job.
If you want to pursue an MSc. in project management,
you need to have a bachelor’s degree in any discipline.
Additionally, you need at least 2-3 years of work experience in management. Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) Scores is also required before applying for this master program. The minimum GMAT score ranges from 500-600.
To qualify for admission, applicants have to fulfill the following requirements:
- Bachelors degree with a minimum GPA of 3.1 out of 4.0 from a recognized university in an approved discipline.
- Three years of relevant work experience in project management or related fields
- A GRE/GMAT score (optional)
- An official transcript for all completed degrees, including graduate level courses and seminars. The transcript must be sent directly from the institution to Brandman University. The university accepts electronic transcripts as well as paper copies.
- Two letters of recommendation from employers, professors or academic advisors who can attest to your ability to perform at the graduate level
- A statement of purpose that details your interest in pursuing a masters degree in project management and how it could help further your career goals
- An updated resume detailing all past work experience and academic achievements such as awards, accolades and certificates
- Essays on specific topic areas mentioned here (https://www.brandman.edu/admissions-aid/graduate-admissions/how-to-apply#application-essay)
- Payment of application fee when submitting application online
- Students may also be selected for an interview based on their academic profile
To be eligible for the application, students must fulfil the following criteria:
- GPA score of at least 3.0 and a minimum of 3 years work experience
- GRE score (GMAT is also accepted)
- English language proficiency test scores
- Letters of recommendation from professional and academic sources
Masters in project management is a preferred course for people who want to enter the management field.
Project management is considered to be a growing field. Masters in project management is a 2 year course. It gives you a chance to become an expert in your field. It has been observed that this course is suitable for anyone who wishes to enter the management industry. The course will help you learn about planning, organizing, controlling and monitoring of various projects. A project is any activity that needs to be conducted within a definite time period and involves different teams working on it simultaneously. Hence, the need for effective coordination between employees becomes imperative for the success of the project as well as the organization.
The course offers you the opportunity to develop your skills so that you can manage different projects related to software development and other systems engineering disciplines with confidence and knowledge of latest techniques and technologies used in these industries today and also provides valuable insights into how projects are effectively managed and how they can be accomplished successfully even when budgets are limited or deadlines are tight.