nursing schools for international students in the us
nursing schools for international students in the us
Arizona State University
This college is committed to international students and their success. It offers resources specifically for international students, including orientation programs, academic advising and counseling, career services and the International Students Association.
The College of Nursing and Health Innovation at Arizona State University is a leader in online health education and a top producer of nurses in the U.S., educating more than 1,500 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral nursing students annually. The college offers traditional campus-based as well as online options for earning a degree from one of the top nursing schools in the country. All programs are taught by nationally recognized faculty members actively engaged in research to address health care challenges around the world.
The College of Nursing offers a variety of undergraduate, graduate degrees and degree pathways at campuses throughout Arizona (Phoenix, Tempe) as well as collaborative partnerships with community colleges throughout the state (Mesa Community College). ASU has a long history of providing an excellent educational experience for international students – including those studying nursing – with more than 6,000 currently enrolled from over 150 countries worldwide.”
California Lutheran University
California Lutheran University, Thousand Oaks
California Lutheran University is located in Thousand Oaks, California. It has a student-to-faculty ratio of 16:1 and a campus size of 1,000 acres. The acceptance rate is 66%. There are 624 international students who study at this university. In 2019, the tuition fee was $40,000 for graduate programs and $17,750 for undergraduate programs.
There are four nursing programs offered for international students: MSN (Master of Science in Nursing), DNP (Doctor of Nursing Practice), BSN (Bachelor of Science in Nursing) and RN to BSN (Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing). Applicants must have an unencumbered RN license or be eligible to obtain one in order to apply for the program. International applicants must meet all admission requirements including GPA score requirement; they must also submit the I-20 form and TOEFL score if their native language isn’t English. If a student doesn’t speak English as their native language then they will need to take the TOEFL test before being admitted into the program. After being accepted into the program you can contact [email protected] or call +1 805 493 3939 with any questions you may have about your admissions status or future enrollment at California Lutheran University.
Phone number: +1 805 493 3939
Email: [email protected]
Case Western Reserve University
Case Western Reserve University, in Cleveland, Ohio, is a private research university and was founded in 1826. The university enrolls about 10,000 students every year.
This school has an excellent nursing program with state-of-the-art facilities. You can visit the main campus in Cleveland or opt for one of three regional campuses throughout Ohio, including one in the Akron area.
The university also operates a hospital and medical center that features advanced patient care technology and increases students’ opportunities for hands on learning experiences.
Eastern Mennonite University
Eastern Mennonite University is a private university established in 1917. The location is in Harrisonburg, Virginia. The school is a Christian university affiliated with the Mennonite Church USA.
The nursing program at EMU includes:
- BSN program (four years)
- MSN program for nurse educators or nurse administrators (two years)
- DNP program for nurse practitioners (three to five years)
You can apply to Emory University by submitting an application through the Common Application, Coalition Application, or the Universal College Application.
The application fee at Emory University is $75.
Application fees may vary by program and may be waived for certain students.
The most popular test is SAT – 75% of students submitted it in comparison to 32% of students who submitted ACT.
The average SAT score composite at Emory University is a 1480 on the 1600 SAT scale. This score makes Emory University Extremely Competitive for SAT test scores.
The average ACT score composite at Emory University is a 33 on the 36 ACT scale. This score makes Emory University Extremely Competitive for ACT scores. The 25th percentile New SAT score is 1390, and the 75th percentile New SAT score is 1550. In other words, a 1390 places you below average, while a 1550 will move you up to above average. There’s no absolute SAT requirement at Emory University, but they really want to see at least a 1390 to have a chance at being considered.
- Goucher College is a private liberal arts college in the northern Baltimore suburb of Towson, Maryland.
- International students are welcome to apply.
Harvard University is a good place for an international student to study nursing at. It is located in Boston, Massachusetts, in the United States of America. If you are an international student who wants to become a nurse then this is the school for you. It offers many great opportunities to study nursing and become a nurse.
Johns Hopkins university School of Nursing, Baltimore, MD
- JHU* has a long tradition of preparing international students for careers in nursing. The university is particularly interested in attracting international students as this makes the campus more diverse and fosters a better learning environment for everyone at the institution.
The *JHU* accepts applications from international students provided that they meet all of the academic requirements. In order to be accepted into the program, you must have completed a BSN or equivalent degree with an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher, plus English language proficiency scores that meet the minimum requirements set by the university. You must also submit transcripts showing proof of required coursework at an accredited nursing institution.
If your application is accepted, you will first need to complete an intensive English language training course before beginning your graduate work at *JHU*. If you are not yet fluent in English, this can take anywhere from two months to one year depending on how proficient your skills are when you arrive on campus. After completing ESL training, you should be able to begin studying for your Master’s degree immediately.
- Marymount University is a fully accredited Catholic college in Arlington, Virginia that offers bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing. Its nursing school has been granted specialized accreditation by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- If you’re interested in enrolling as an international student at Marymount, you’ll need to deliver proof of your English language proficiency by presenting official results for one of the following tests: TOEFL, IELTS, or MELAB. You should be able to get into Marymount with a minimum score of 95 on the TOEFL exam or 7 on the IELTS.
Mercy College, New York City
Mercy College, a private nonprofit institution located in New York City, offers one of the few nursing programs for international students in the US. It’s a four-year bachelor of science in nursing (BSN) program that costs about $52,000 per year for tuition and fees.
To be admitted to the BSN program at Mercy College, you’ll need to submit evidence of your English proficiency (usually through TOEFL or IELTS scores), as well as proof that you meet the academic prerequisites. These include some prerequisite courses and six credits of biology with laboratory experience.
The college’s online graduate catalog also advises that prospective students should complete their applications as early as possible—especially if they’re seeking financial aid or living on campus—because those decisions are made on a first-come, first-served basis.
New York University (NYU) College of Nursing, New York City
All students at NYU must meet the following requirements:
- Students must be able to obtain an F-1 or J-1 visa to study in the US.
- Students must have completed a four-year bachelor’s degree with an overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher.
- Students should have taken prerequisite courses before applying, either as part of their previous studies or as additional courses outside their undergraduate degree. The courses required are human anatomy and physiology, organic chemistry and biochemistry, microbiology, nutrition, statistics, introductory psychology and social science.
- All applicants need to demonstrate proficiency in English language by submitting TOEFL scores (minimum 100 (internet-based test), 600 (paper-based test) or IELTS scores (minimum 7.5). If you do not meet these requirements but feel that your English is still adequate for study in the US you can apply for conditional admission through NYU’s Global Academic Center Language Institute program. You will take English language classes at NYU until your language skills are suitable for full admission into a graduate nursing program
Northeastern University Bouve College Of Health Sciences
Northeastern University Bouve College of Health Sciences, which is located in Boston, Massachusetts, is a private research university with over 20,000 students. The university offers a complete range of undergraduate and graduate programs for national and international students.
Northeastern University has always been preferred by international nursing students as it provides them with opportunities to obtain practical experience through its campus-based programs such as the Cooperative Education Program (co-op) and the Global Experience Office’s International co-op program.
Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey-Newark, Newark, NJ
- Online degrees: The online bachelor of science in nursing (RN to BSN) program at Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey-Newark is designed for registered nurses who hold either an associate degree or a diploma in nursing. This CCNE accredited program is offered completely online and is for students who want to gain more knowledge and enhance their nursing skills. Courses are taught by experienced faculty members using a variety of learning methods including discussion boards, streaming video, webinars, and other interactive activities. These courses are 100% online and accessible 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Students can learn at their own pace with convenient monthly start dates available throughout the year. In addition, clinical experiences provide hands on learning with feedback from faculty members. Clinical experience sites may be located near your home if you are an international student coming to study in the United States.* Traditional programs: The traditional program at Rutgers School of Nursing offers students opportunities to obtain the following qualifications:
- Master’s degrees: The masters of science program at Rutgers School of Nursing is designed for registered nurses who want to expand their career options, improve their professional standing and gain more knowledge about advanced practice in nursing.* PhD degrees: Those interested in pursuing a PhD degree can choose from one of our 13 areas of specialization that include: Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner; Family Nurse Practitioner; Geriatric Nurse Practitioner; Neonatal Nurse Practitioner; Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Primary Care; Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Across Lifespan; Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing Education & Administration Track; Women’s Health/Gender Related Nurse Practitioner (WHNP-GR); Doctoral Program Generalist Track – RN without MSN Degree Required; Post-Master’s DNP.* Nursing assistant certificate: This certificate enables individuals with no experience in healthcare to enter into this field as a certified nursing assistant (CNA). While working as a CNA you can earn while
Sacred heart university college of nursing, fairfield, CT.
Sacred Heart University offers a BSN and an accelerated BSN. The traditional program lasts four years, and the accelerated program takes 12 months to complete. For both programs, a minimum of 2.0 GPA is required in all prerequisite courses. All applicants are subject to an interview as part of the process, but no entrance exam is needed. To apply, students will need prior healthcare experience, such as volunteering or nursing assistant duties. Sacred Heart University’s College of Nursing is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). It’s also a member of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN). For more information about applying for either program at Sacred Heart University, visit their website here: https://www.sacredheart.edu/academics/colleges/collegeofnursing/.
Simmons College School of Nursing and Health Sciences, Boston MA.
- Simmons College School of Nursing and Health Sciences, located in Boston, Massachusetts, offers graduate and undergraduate nursing programs for International Students.
- The school has Prerequisite courses that students must complete before beginning the program. These courses may be completed online or in person at your local college. The following prerequisite courses are required:
- Human Anatomy with lab (4 semester credits)
- Human Physiology with lab (4 semester credits)
- General Chemistry with lab (4 semester credits)
- Microbiology with lab (4 semester credits)
- Nutrition (3 semester credits)
- Tuition cost is approximately $28,000 per year plus fees for an international graduate student. A financial form must be submitted in order to receive a visa to study in the US.
Stony Brook University School Of Nursing, stony brook, NY.
School of Nursing, Stony Brook University
Address: One University Place; New York, NY 11791-6200
Average GPA: 3.6 (out of 4.0)
Average GRE score: 719 (out of 800)
Average TOEFL score: 93 (out of 100)
Acceptance rate: 94% (applicants accepted based on GPA and academic record)
Tuition cost/year: $48,000/year for tuition and fees only; $55,000/year for room and board only; total cost may vary since this is an online school
The Catholic university of America (CUA) Washington DC.
The Catholic University of America in Washington DC offers a 3-year accelerated BSN program, an MSN program, and a PhD program. All international students must show proof of proficiency in both reading and writing English language (TOEFL score, for instance).
- Accelerated BSN: This intensive, full-time three-year program incorporates clinical experience throughout each of the four semesters. The curriculum includes classes such as Professional Role Development; Health Assessment; Pathophysiology & Pharmacology; and Health Promotion & Disease Prevention. A minimum TOEFL score of 80 is required to be considered for admission into this program. For more information about tuition rates, please click here to visit the school’s website.
- MSN: There are two specialties available for the MSN program: Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) and Nursing Education & Faculty Role (NEFR). Students can choose between full-time or part-time options.
- Phd: This doctoral degree is offered through CUA’s School of Arts and Sciences Department of Biology. Students complete coursework in human anatomy and pathology, while specializing in areas including cancer biology and neuroscience.
The George Washington university school of nursing, Washington DC.
The George Washington University School of Nursing is one of the best nursing schools in US offering a wide range of nursing programs. The school’s commitment to excellence can be seen from its impressive faculty, state-of-the-art facilities and affiliations with top hospitals. While the school offers a wide range of nursing programs, it is most popular for its Master’s in Nursing (MN) and Doctorate of Nursing Practice (DNP) degree programs.
For international students interested in applying to GWU’s School of Nursing, there are certain requirements that they need to fulfill:
- Complete English Language Proficiency Test
- Fulfill academic prerequisites
- Financial Clearance Certificate
There are many nursing schools in the US that are open to international students
In order to begin the process of applying to a school, you will need an undergraduate degree in nursing or an equivalent. You must also be licensed by taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam and passing it. There are also other requirements that vary from school to school—for example, some schools require letters of recommendation while others require prospective students to take additional exams such as SATs or GREs.
The application process is competitive and can take several months, so if you are interested in applying for the first time, it’s important for you to start early! The application process takes time: most schools have deadlines that close around February 1st; however, some schools are open until May 1st. In addition to your application materials (such as letters of recommendation), there may be additional fees required by each school so make sure you budget accordingly!
It can feel overwhelming when looking into how much money it costs for one year’s worth of tuition at a private institution versus two years’ worth at a community college; however don’t let this deter your dreams! If you have any questions about whether or not your financial situation would qualify as “need-based” please contact us and we can discuss options available with us!”