The pharmacy tech field is growing rapidly and the demand for qualified technicians is higher than ever. The following schools offer online programs that are designed to give you the experience you need to enter this exciting and fast-growing field.
Online Colleges That Offer Pharmacy Tech
Rasmussen College (Minnesota, Illinois, Florida and North Dakota schools only)
If you are a resident of Minnesota, Illinois, Florida and North Dakota, Rasmussen College has the online pharmacy tech training for you.
Rasmussen College is a private, for-profit, regionally accredited college with campuses in multiple states across the U.S., including Arizona and California. The college offers an array of degree programs that can be completed entirely online from anywhere in the world—including one that will help put you on track to becoming a licensed pharmacist technician (LPTA).
The LPTA program at Rasmussen College consists of 30 credits that are divided into four semesters spread over two years: Fall semester (15 credits), Spring semester (15 credits) and Summer semester (6 credits).
Purdue University Global
Purdue University Global is a for-profit college that is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. The university offers a variety of online programs through its College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, including two pharmacy tech programs:
The Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy Technology includes coursework in several subjects, including pharmacology and introduction to pharmacy practice. It also prepares students for the PTCB certification exam to become an entry-level technician.
The Master’s Degree in Biomedical Sciences with an Emphasis on Pharmaceutical Technology will teach you about the history and development of pharmaceuticals as well as how they’re made today. Additionally, you’ll learn about drug dosage forms and administration methods such as compounding and dispensing medications at pharmacies.
Virginia College offers online pharmacy tech programs in Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio and Tennessee.
Virginia College is a for-profit school with multiple locations throughout the country.
Ultimate Medical Academy
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a private, for-profit career school with campuses in Phoenix, Arizona and San Diego, California. The school offers a variety of programs, including pharmacy technician, medical assistant, medical coding and billing, and medical office administration.
- Accreditation: Ultimate Medical Academy is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
Penn Foster Career School
Penn Foster Career School offers an online Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy Technology. The program is accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS), which means it meets their standards for quality. Penn Foster Career School has been a member of the National Association of Career Schools and Colleges (NACSC) since 2014, which sets industry standards for career colleges to ensure students are receiving a quality education from qualified instructors.
San Joaquin Valley College
San Joaquin Valley College offers a variety of programs through their online school. These include pharmacy technician, medical assistant, dental hygiene, radiology technician and veterinary technology. The college is located in Fresno, CA and has been offering online classes since 2001.
Students can complete the program in 16 months at an estimated cost of $14,000 per year or two years at an estimated cost of $21,000 per year. The curriculum includes over 400 hours in didactic instruction along with hands on training in hospital-based labs for students to practice their skills under the supervision of licensed pharmacists or other health care providers.
The college is accredited by WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC). Their degree completion times are shorter than most traditional schools because they don’t offer courses during the summer term; instead they focus solely on fall/winter semesters only so students can complete their degree faster than expected without sacrificing quality education time spent away from home (no travel time required). Not only does this save money but it also helps cut down costs related expenses such as housing costs etc…
Pima Community College
Pima Community College offers a program in partnership with the University of Arizona that allows students to earn their pharmacy technician certificate online. The program is offered in English and Spanish, and there are multiple formats available to you:
- Hybrid format – You will take hybrid classes (which combine both online and on-campus instruction) that meet at specific times during the week. This can be good if you have limited time or flexibility and need structure in your learning schedule.
- Cohort format – In this format, you’ll work alongside other students who are taking the same course as you—and meet together via video conference calls or webinars on occasion—but at different times throughout the week, which makes it easier for busy people like parents or employees.
The above listed schools offer online pharmacy tech programs.
- The above listed states have online pharmacy tech programs.
- Program Types: Certificate, Diploma, Associate’s Degree (2-year)
- Program Lengths: 4 months – 2 years (full-time), 1 – 2 years (part-time)
- Program Costs: $0 to $50k+ depending on school and program
- Prerequisites: High School Diploma or GED certificate; Some schools may require a Bachelor’s degree or some college level coursework; Most schools require you to pass a math test. See below for details on each school’s requirements
- Admission Requirements: Minimum GPA requirement between 0.00-1.00 in order to be admitted into the program of your choice
- Application Deadlines are typically between January 31st – December 15th for upcoming semesters/quarters/trimesters/terms that start in January, March, July & September respectively after each deadline date has passed
The above listed schools offer online pharmacy tech programs.