student visa requirements for australia

student visa requirements for australia

The Student Visa subclass 500 is for students who want to undertake a full-time study program in Australia

Oops! Click Regenerate Content below to try generating this section again.

You must be enrolled in a registered course with a provider before applying for the Student visa (subclass 500)

You must be enrolled in a registered course with a provider before applying for the Student visa (subclass 500).

A registered course is one that is provided by an institution or provider that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

To check if your course and education provider are CRICOS registered, visit the CRICOS website.

If you have not yet applied for a student visa, you should apply to enrol in a CRICOS-registered course and receive confirmation of enrolment from your education provider before lodging your student visa application. You should do this at least 4 weeks before the intended date of travel to Australia. If you do not have confirmation of enrolment at the time you lodge your student visa application, processing of your student visa may be delayed.

You must have the right kind of health insurance throughout the duration of your stay in Australia.

You must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your stay in Australia. This is a type of health insurance that is specifically designed to cover the costs incurred by international students while they study in Australia.

You can use the OSHC comparison tool on the Australian Government Department of Health website to compare what different OSHC providers offer, so you can choose an OSHC provider that best suits your needs.

Meet English language requirements

If you’re an international student looking to study in Australia, it’s crucial to meet the requirements of the Student Visa (subclass 489). The Australian Government requires that applicants have adequate English language skills as a condition for entry into the country. As part of this visa application process, every applicant must complete an IELTS test.

The IELTS test is one of the most widely recognised English tests worldwide and has been used by over 100 countries around the world as a benchmark for English proficiency.

Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement

As part of the application process, you’ll be asked to submit a statement addressing multiple questions, such as why you want to study in Australia and what your goals are after that. This is important to demonstrate that you’re a genuine temporary entrant (GTE), which means that you have appropriate reasons for studying in Australia and plan to leave at the end of your studies. If the Australian government considers you not to be a GTE, it will deny your student visa.

The GTE requirement applies even if there’s no explicit request for a statement or letter on this topic; students are expected to address these questions when filling out the form for their student visa application.

be outside Australia when you apply and when the visa is granted.

You can be in or outside Australia when you apply.

You must be outside Australia when the visa is granted.

If you are in Australia, on another valid visa, when this visa is approved you will be able to travel to Australia until the expiry of either your current visa or your new Student (subclass 500) visa, whichever comes first.

These are some of the student visa requirements to study in Australia

Besides having a Student visa (subclass 500) to study in Australia, here are some of the other student visa requirements you must meet:

  • You need to be enrolled in a registered course with a provider before applying for the Student visa (subclass 500). However, you may be able to apply for an Offshore Student visa (subclass 572) if your application is based on sponsorship by an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
  • You must have enough money to support yourself and pay for your tuition fees while studying in Australia. Your family may also need to show that they have financial resources if they will accompany you.
  • You must have the right kind of health insurance throughout the duration of your stay in Australia. Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is available from private health funds approved by the Australian Government. This type of health insurance provides coverage for hospital treatment and medical services required by students while studying in Australia.
  • Meet English language requirements unless you are exempt from this requirement because English is your native language or if you meet certain educational qualifications provided by schools within English-speaking countries like Canada, United Kingdom and New Zealand.
  • Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement where applicants must satisfy the immigration officer that their primary reason for being in Australia is temporary and not permanent residency nor traveling through Australia on their way to another destination.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *