uk nursing universities for international students

uk nursing universities for international students

Nursing in the UK

Being a nurse in the UK can be a rewarding experience. Due to the current shortage of nurses, your contribution is sure to make a difference. A 2017 survey showed that UK was ranked as the second best country in the world to be a nurse. There are plenty of courses available at UK universities for those wishing to study nursing and become professional nurses, even for international students.

What is required?

There is an independent body called the Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC) that regulates the nursing profession within the UK. In order to gain registration with this body you must successfully complete an approved programme of study, which leads to eligibility for registration as a nurse or midwife on one or more parts of its register. The NMC currently has guidelines in place that all nurses must meet in order to maintain their registration with them, as well as guidance on how education and training should work so it’s worth having a look for yourself before choosing your university course.

A number of universities offer full time and part time courses leading to professional registration at various levels (registered nurse/midwife, specialist community public health nurse etc). These are generally structured into three years of academic study followed by one year on placement within the relevant field (such as adult care).

University Courses for International Students

# Types of nursing courses

There are four main types of courses for aspiring international nurses to choose from:

  • Foundation degrees in health and social care/nursing studies
  • Bachelor’s degrees in adult, child or mental health nursing
  • Postgraduate diploma/degree in nursing (for those who already hold a bachelor’s degree)
  • Pre-registration nurse returner courses (a two-year programme with work placement that leads directly to registration as a qualified nurse).

Benefits of Studying in the UK

The UK is a great place to study because of its world class universities, high quality teaching and supportive academic environment. By choosing to study in the UK you will be joining thousands of international students from all over the world who also choose to come here because:

  • The UK has some of the best universities in the world
  • In general, it’s cheaper than other countries like Australia and Canada
  • You can stay for longer after your studies have finished
  • There are lots of scholarships available to help with tuition fees

Work while you study

You can work while you study. You’re allowed to do a part-time job for up to 20 hours a week during term time, and full time during vacations.

If you have a degree, you can also apply for different kinds of jobs as well as roles within your field of study.

After you finish your course, if you have the right to work in the UK after studying, you may be eligible for certain jobs that require skilled workers – either through Tier 2 or the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme.

Post-study work visa

Post-study work visa

A post-study work visa allows international students to stay in the UK after graduating, so that they can gain further practical experience. You can apply for this visa if you are an international student who is about to graduate or has recently graduated with a degree from a UK university, and if you meet certain requirements. The length of the visa is two years. During this time, you can work for any employer and in any role, as long as it doesn’t involve self-employment.

Once your post-study work visa expires, you can extend your leave to remain in the UK, or apply to settle permanently (known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’), depending on which route you took into nursing school:

  • If you studied at undergraduate level on a Tier 4 (General) student Visa (including a Degree Apprenticeship), then you will be able to switch onto a skilled worker route and settle permanently after five years.

Family visas

You can apply for a family visa if your family member is a British citizen, settled in the UK or has refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK.

To apply you must:

  • be 18 years old or over
  • want to live with your partner who is present and ‘settled in’ the UK (or they’re on a visa that lets them stay for 2 years or more)
  • both of you intend to live together permanently in the UK
  • meet the eligibility requirements, including knowledge of English and living costs

Register a school place for your child/ren?

You need to apply for a school place for your child/ren if:

  • you have moved into City of Westminster or are moving into the area
  • you want your child to change schools

You can apply for a school place throughout the year, but there is a deadline for applying for reception and secondary places. If you miss these deadlines, we strongly recommend that you contact us directly.

How much will it cost to study a nursing course?

Oops! Click Regenerate Content below to try generating this section again.

uk universities are offering great courses to international students

The UK has world-renowned universities that offer a variety of nursing courses. International students can get their hands on the best nursing courses in the world by applying to one of these institutions.

These are the UK universities with great nursing programs:

  • University of Aberdeen
  • University of Birmingham
  • Bournemouth University
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University

Here are some of the courses you can find at these universities:

  • Course 1: Nursing/ Registered Nurse (Adult) – BSc (Hons) – Full Time – 3 Years, Sandwich – 4 Years
  • Course 2: Nursing/ Registered Nurse (Mental Health) – BSc (Hons) – Full Time – 3 Years, Sandwich – 4 Years
  • Course 3: Nursing/ Registered Nurse (Child) – BSc (Hons) – Full Time – 3 Years, Sandwich – 4 Years

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *