The University of Minnesota Golden Gophers football program, which competes in the Big Ten Conference, has a long and storied history. The program has had several head coaches throughout its history and has won six national championships as well as 15 conference titles. Although the team’s record hasn’t been as impressive recently (they haven’t won a bowl game since 2004), they have routinely been ranked among the top teams in college football.
University Of Minnesota Gopher Football
Minnesota Golden Gophers football
- The Minnesota Golden Gophers football program is the intercollegiate American football team for the University of Minnesota that compete in the Big 10 Conference.
- The team has played continuously since 1882, with only two years off in 1891 and 1894.
- Their current head coach is P.J. Fleck, former football player at Miami University (Ohio).
- The Golden Gopher Football program has produced a number of notable players including Henry Lillard who was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame; Bronko Nagurski who won four national championships and three Heisman trophies; Alan Page who was inducted into both pro and college hall of fame for his legal career as well as his athletic accomplishments; Chuck Long who went on to win two Super Bowls with the Washington Redskins after playing for Minnesota;Doug Flutie whose 1984 season still stands as one of the greatest ever by an individual player set many records including passing efficiency rating (179) which remains an NCAA record today
History of Minnesota Golden Gophers football
Minnesota began playing football in 1882. The team won the first college football national championship in 1882 when it defeated Harvard 6-0. Minnesota won its first Rose Bowl in 1923, defeating California 14-13. They were awarded the national championship by “Parke H. Davis”. Their next bowl win came in 1936 against Stanford 20-14, which made them the first Big Ten school to play in two different Rose Bowls and win both times.
In 1967, Minnesota won its first Big Ten Championship after defeating Ohio State 20 – 13 at Metropolitan Stadium (now TCF Bank Stadium). The Golden Gophers went on to beat USC 13 – 7 in Pasadena for their second Rose Bowl title under coach Murray Warmath who had led “the gang green” since 1951 when he replaced Bernie Bierman who retired from coaching after winning four straight MNCs from 1934 through 1938!
List of Minnesota Golden Gophers football seasons
- Minnesota Golden Gophers football seasons
- Minnesota Golden Gophers coaches
- Minnesota Golden Gophers players
- List of bowl games played in by the Minnesota Golden Gophers
- All-time records for the Minnesota Golden Gophers
List of Minnesota Golden Gophers starting quarterbacks
- Tony Dungy
- Jim McMahon
- Warren Muenzinger
- Mark Herrmann
- Tim Brewster (coach)
List of Minnesota Golden Gophers head football coaches
- 1900–1929: Henry L. Williams, George Jewett
- 1930–1941: Bernie Bierman
- 1942–1946: Fritz Crisler
- 1947–1950: John Gagliardi
- 1951–1967: Muddy Waters (Assistant Coach)
- 1968–1975: Jim Youngblood (Assistant Coach)
- 1976-1979: Joe Salem (Assistant Coach)
- 1980-1983: Cal Stoll (Assistant Coach) * 1983-1986: Jim Wacker (Head Coach)**END OF SECTION
List of Minnesota Golden Gophers bowl games
The Minnesota Golden Gophers have played in 21 bowl games, with a record of 11-10-0. They have won the Rose Bowl eight times, the Orange Bowl once and Liberty Bowl once.
List of Minnesota Golden Gophers football players in the NFL Draft
- List of Minnesota Golden Gophers football players in the NFL Draft
- List of Minnesota Golden Gophers football players in the CFL Draft
- List of Minnesota Golden Gophers football players in the Arena Football League Draft
- List of Minnesota Golden Gophers football players in the XFL Draft
Information on the University Of Minnesota Gopher Football Program
The University Of Minnesota Gopher Football Program is the intercollegiate American football team for the University Of Minnesota in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The Minnesota Golden Gophers compete in the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).
The University of Minnesota Golden Gophers football team is one of the most storied programs in the history of college football. The team has won eight national championships and 25 conference titles, including three Big Ten titles in 2018 alone. It’s no wonder why so many people love watching these Golden Gophers play!