University Of South Carolina Undergraduate Admissions
The University of South Carolina is a public research university located in the state capital of Columbia. The university has more than 29,000 students and offers more than 300 undergraduate, graduate and professional degree programs across 12 colleges. The university was founded in 1801 as South Carolina College and served as the state’s only public institution of higher education until 1909 when Furman University became a co-educational institution. The university’s athletic teams are known as the Gamecocks and compete at the NCAA Division-I level as members of the Southeastern Conference (SEC).
Dates & Deadlines
Most applications are due by December 1. The University of South Carolina does not accept late applications, so it is important to submit your application on time.
Fees & Expenses
- Tuition and fees: $7,874
- Room and board: $12,610
- Books and supplies: $1,252.
- Transportation expenses: $2,824.
The university requires applicants to have a minimum high school GPA of 3.0 or higher, which is competitive with other colleges and universities in South Carolina. The SAT and ACT are accepted as standardized tests for admittance purposes, but for an admission fee of $60 per test, you can submit three SAT Subject Tests instead of the SAT or ACT exam.
The University of South Carolina has an institutional code that allows students to take up to three exams without having to pay any additional fees; this code is: 5231
If you are an international student, you will need to submit the following requirements:
- An official TOEFL score or IELTS score. For information on how to prepare for these tests, please visit our TOEFL and IELTS pages.
- An official SAT or ACT score. If you have taken either of these tests multiple times, we will use the highest composite score from all test dates reported on your transcript(s). Please make sure that your scores are sent directly from the testing agency; we cannot accept scores submitted by a third party.
- Official high school transcripts (if applicable). If your secondary education was not completed in English, it must be assessed by an approved credential evaluation service for equivalence with a U.S.-based curriculum. You can find more information about this process at www.wes.org/internationalcredentialevaluation/.
Transfer students must meet the following requirements:
- Have a minimum 2.5 GPA
- Possess at least 30 transferable credit hours from another accredited institution. A student’s GPA on all transfer credit attempted will be considered when determining their admission status.
- Have completed at least one year of coursework at their previous institution, or have been in good standing for at least one year (for remedial courses) and have not dropped below a 2.0 GPA during any term(s).
- Be in good academic standing with the most recent institution attended (as determined by the Office of Admissions).
To make the most of your visit, we recommend:
- Arriving at least 20 minutes before the tour begins.
- Bringing a photo ID with you.
- Visiting our admissions office in Columbia before or after your campus tour for assistance with admission and financial aid questions. The Admissions Office is located at SC1 on Blossom Street, just off Blossom Street’s intersection with Devine Street (right next to Starbucks). Our staff will be happy to answer any questions you have about applying or being admitted to USC Upstate!
- What are the requirements for admission?
- What are the requirements for a degree?
- What are the requirements for international students?
- What are the requirements for transfer students?
- What are the requirements for visiting campus?
In order to be eligible to enter as a freshman, you must have: An ACT score of 17 or higher (or SAT Reasoning Test score of 940 or higher), three years’ high school work, and an official high school transcript. If you have not taken either test, your application will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis with consideration given to your high school GPA.
Apply to University Of South Carolina
Apply to University Of South Carolina
The application process is the first step in becoming a Gamecock. If you’ve decided that USC is right for you and would like to take advantage of all that the university has to offer, apply now. Admission requirements are outlined below:
You can apply online by visiting our website at https://wwwsc.edu/admissions/. Your admission decision will be based on several factors (grades, test scores, coursework) as well as extracurricular activities and other achievements (community service). This information will be used by an admissions counselor who will decide whether or not we can admit you into one of our four colleges: College of Business Administration; College of Arts & Sciences; School of Education; School of Engineering & Computing Sciences. The final decision about your acceptance will be made by a committee that includes faculty members from each college as well as staff members from Admissions & Financial Aid Services (AFAS). Application Fee: $65 ($85 international applicants) Applications must be submitted before November 1st for Fall semester admission or May 1st for Spring semester admission
We hope this guide has been helpful to you. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at [email protected]