University Of Utah In State Tuition

In-state tuition is available to non-residents of Utah who qualify as resident students. The University of Utah Residency Office will make the final determination if residency is granted. If your initial application for in-state residency has been denied, you have 30 days from the date on the letter to file an appeal with the Residency Appeals Committee (RAC). An appeal form can be obtained from the RAC website or by calling 801-581-3141, ext. 4136

University Of Utah In State Tuition

IMPORTANT: The University of Utah Residency Office will also make the final determination if residency is granted.

IMPORTANT: The University of Utah Residency Office will also make the final determination if residency is granted. If you have questions about your residency status, contact the Residency Office at (801)581-8266 or visit their website at

To request an in-state tuition waiver, submit all supporting documentation listed below and the completed application form to our office via email to [email protected] or by mail at:

Utah Student Association

Attn: In-State Tuition Waiver Request

PO Box 67700

Salt Lake City, UT 84167

B. Instructions to Apply for In-State Residency

  • Create an Account

Follow the instructions in the link below to create an account and select “Resident Eligibility.”

  • Complete the Initial Application

You will need your USU ID number, which can be found on your Utah resident card (or driver’s license if you don’t have one). If you do not have either of these documents, please contact the admissions office at 801-581-8608 or 1-800-659-3830. After completing this step, please review all information carefully before submitting.

  • Complete Details Form

If you are eligible for in-state tuition based on Utah residency rules and requirements as described above, complete this form with basic identifying information about yourself including: full name; date of birth; Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN); mailing address where we may correspond with you; phone number where we may contact you if necessary; email address so that we can communicate with you electronically regarding this application process (this is not published or made available publicly). You must properly identify yourself by providing one piece of identification from each category listed below:

  • Primary document(s) – copies only! See examples below for acceptable documentation when possible:
  • Primary Documents – must show name exactly as it appears on other documentation provided along side of primary document(s). Examples include Unexpired passport book/card issued by government agency in country where applicant was born with photograph clearly showing applicant’s face against blue background (no laminated pages), Unexpired passport book/card issued by Government Agency in Country where applicant has resided most recently (foreign) with photograph clearly showing applicant’s face against blue background (no laminated pages), Driver’s license issued by governmental agency within state wherein holder resides indicating current residence address upon issue date and signature

Step 1: Create an account and Complete the Initial Application

The first step is to create an account at and complete the initial application. The $50 application fee can be paid by credit or debit card, or you may submit a check or money order made payable to The University of Utah Mail Stop 13115, c/o Residency Office, 250 S Presidents Circle, Salt Lake City UT 84112-9300.

Once your application has been received and processed, you will be contacted via e-mail with payment instructions for the $25 non­refundable verification fee (payable by credit or debit card only). Your account will not be activated until this transaction has been completed successfully.

Step 2: Complete the Details Form

To complete the details form, you will need to provide information about your parents, spouse and children.

If you are married:

  • Your spouse’s name, age and Social Security Number (SSN). If your spouse does not have a SSN, he or she must apply for one with the Social Security Administration by visiting and choosing “Apply for an SSN.” If he or she does not have proof of citizenship or legal immigration status in the U.S., he or she may also be required to apply for an ITIN from the IRS at . The ITIN is used when individuals who are not eligible for Social Security Numbers (SSNs) file tax returns with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). It is important that each household member has his or her own unique ITIN so that it can be used on all tax documents filed under their names; this includes returns as head of household if applicable

Step 3: Fee Payment and Documentation Uploads

  • Upload the payment
  • Upload the documentation in the order listed

The order of document uploads and payment is important, so please be sure to review this guide before beginning your application.

Step 4: Required Supporting Documentation

  • Proof of Utah Residency – This can be a driver’s license, state ID card, utility bill or bank statement.
  • Proof of Financial Dependency – If you are an undergraduate student under 24 years old and are not a dependent on your parents’ taxes, then you must submit proof that you have applied for financial aid and/or have been offered enough financial aid to cover tuition. To apply for this type of aid, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can begin the FAFSA process at or by calling 1-800-433-3243 (1-800-4FEDAID). Formal verification may be required if there is conflicting information between documents submitted by applicants with unique circumstances such as divorced parents and/or guardianship documentation.
  • Proof of Utah Address – You must provide one official document that verifies your permanent address in Utah (e.g., vehicle registration letter from DMV with current Utah address listed). Students who do not hold a driver’s license or state ID card must submit a lease agreement or other official documentation indicating their permanent residence in Utah; this should indicate both their name(s) as well as their mailing address which matches what was provided on the admission application form when applying for admission into USU Eastern via our website at . Please note: if there is conflicting information between documents submitted by applicants with unique circumstances such as divorced parents and/or guardianship documentation will be verified by contacting each party involved in order to resolve any discrepancies prior to issuing any award offers made through our Office Of Financial Aid Services department.”

Step 5 (Optional). Check Your Status and Reply to Requests for More Information

Now that you’ve applied for in-state tuition, it’s time to check the status of your application. To do this, go to the Admissions website and select “Check My Status” under the “Campus Information” tab. Under “Check Your Application Status” you can find details about when we got your application, any required documents that haven’t been submitted yet and any requests for more information that need a response.

If you have questions about your residency status or are having trouble submitting documents electronically, contact our Residency Office at 801-581-7202 or

C. Additional information about filing an in-state residency application online

If you are a Utah resident and want to become an in-state student, you will need to provide proof of your continuous physical presence in Utah for at least 12 months.

There are other requirements as well:

  • You must be a U.S citizen or permanent resident at the time of application.
  • You must have filed your tax returns as a Utah resident for each year since becoming a permanent resident (or earlier).

D. In-State Residency Appeal process

If you are not satisfied with the decision of the Residency Committee, you may appeal to the Vice President for Enrollment Management. The process for an appeal is similar to that of an application. Please refer to section IV above for more information on these processes.

How to apply for in-state tuition

To apply for in-state tuition, visit the University of Utah’s website and click on the “Admissions” tab. Once there, select “Undergraduate Admissions” and then choose your program of interest (for example: Bachelor’s Degree). There are two types of applications you can submit: the admission application or an application for admission with early registration. The university recommends that you submit both applications by their respective deadlines; however, if there is a chance that you might receive financial aid from another source (such as your parents’ employer), it might be worth submitting only one application at first.

Once you’ve submitted both apps to UoU with all necessary documentation, make sure to pay any applicable fees before they become past due so as not to incur late fees! It may seem like it takes forever but once everything has been processed – including payment – then congratulations! You’ll officially be considered an In-State Student… well done 🙂


The University of Utah Residency Office will also make the final determination if residency is granted. If you have any questions about your application, please contact them at (801) 581-2560 or

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *