utrecht excellence scholarships
The Utrecht Excellence Scholarship offers a number of outstanding prospective students the opportunity to pursue a Master’s degree in a selected number of fields at Utrecht University.
To be eligible for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship, you need to meet the following criteria:
- Be a non-EEA student
- Be applying for a Master’s degree programme at Utrecht University
- Have excellent study results (top 10%) as proven by your Bachelor’s degree certificate/diploma and transcript of records.
- Meet all conditions necessary to get accepted into your selected Master’s programme.
Who can apply?
In order to qualify for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship, you must
- Be a non-EEA student applying for one of our eligible Master’s degree programmes.
- Have an academic background that qualifies for admission to one of our most selective master’s programmes.
- Have obtained excellent study results (at least 80%), as demonstrated in official transcripts from previous education. If your education has not been completed, an official statement from your educational institution is required which shows that you have completed at least two thirds of your Bachelor’s or Master’s programme and are likely to obtain excellent results upon completion of your studies. Please note that it is difficult to estimate whether or not you will receive the scholarship if you have already completed only two thirds of the programme. In addition, a CV and motivation letter are required.
Applying for the fellowship
The application process is entirely online. In order to be considered, you’ll need to check the eligibility criteria and then make sure that your application is complete by the deadline. You will apply first for admission to a master’s degree program at Utrecht University; once you’ve been admitted, you can then apply for this scholarship. The application process is as follows:
- Check eligibility requirements. If you meet these requirements, go on to step 2.
- Apply for admission to the master’s program of your choice by submitting an online application form and required documents (transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc.) before the deadline. There are specific deadlines for both EU/EEA students and non-EU/EEA students.
- Once you’ve been admitted into a master’s program at Utrecht University, you’ll be able to add all of your personal details and upload all of the necessary documents in one place on the application portal.*Submit your online application before April 1 for studies beginning in September (and before October 1 if you are not from an EU/EEA country).
How are applications assessed?
Your application will be assessed by a selection committee consisting of staff members and students. The committee assesses your application on the basis of academic excellence and personal motivation.
To assess your academic excellence, the committee will look for evidence that you have demonstrated outstanding levels of academic ability during your previous degree courses. They will also look at the grades you achieved in these courses to measure your intellectual capacity.
In deciding whether you are likely to gain from studying at Utrecht University, the committee will consider how well-suited your previous education is for this Master’s programme. They will also attempt to determine whether you have any personal characteristics or interests that could help you deal with the challenges involved in studying at Utrecht University.
For whom is the scholarship intended?
International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship. Students of all nationalities are welcome to apply. The scholarship is intended for students who would like to pursue a master’s degree at Utrecht University and have a strong academic background.
What is the scholarship amount?
The amount of the scholarship is €25,000. It will be awarded for the standard duration of the programme (one or two years) and is meant to cover both tuition fees and living expenses. The scholarship is a contribution towards your costs of living, tuition fees and study materials. Please note that this does not cover all of your financial needs during study abroad.
The scholarship will be administered by Utrecht University Fund and will be awarded in the form of a monthly sum paid on to a Dutch bank account specified by you.
Will I be exempt from paying tuition fees?
- Yes, if you are awarded the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship.
- The scholarship covers your tuition fees in full (EU/EEA: €2,060). The scholarship does not cover living expenses or family allowance.